Check out the Pretty.Simple.Things website:

Monday, February 8, 2010

Vignettes (In my home)

I have decided to do a weekly post about a snapshot of a space in my home, and the art or pieces that fill that space. I'm calling them "Vignettes". 

This week I am focusing on one of my most favorite art pieces, that I feel so lucky to have in my collection.  The piece is called "Passionfruit"  and it's by Sheila Metcalf Tobin. The work is mixed media collage on paper, that was custom framed by the artist. It came into my life when I was lucky enough to curate a show of Sheila's work  for the Erica Tanov store in Berkeley.  It hangs above the mantle of the white brick fireplace in my living room, with an ever changing array of items from my collection of random findings surrounding it. I have loosely centered the color scheme of my living room off of this painting, and was so in love with the orange in it that I used it as an accent color that is revisited throughout my decor. 
Here are a few of Sheila's newer pieces, images are from her website sheilametcalftobin.com
Her work is ethereal and has such great visual depth. Her use of layering with different opacity's of paper and/or color to create her compositions enlivens each work with a sense of three-dimensionality. 
The "Sketches of Spring" series of cards I'm working on is very inspired by Sheila's work, especially the one below which hangs in Bar Tartine in San Francisco (one of my favorite mission district spots for gourmet faire and excellent wine). 


No comments:

Post a Comment