Check out the Pretty.Simple.Things website:

Monday, January 18, 2010

New Year, New Blog, Cool Contest!

At last, a blog-post!
I have been procrastinating on starting the blog for Pretty.Simple.Things, because, honestly, I hadn't had any "aha" moments on how to start it! Enter inspiration in the form of a contest!

Hosted by Cool Mom Picks, in conjunction with Etsy, the contest is open to all artists, designers, and anyone with a love of Valentines! The challenge was to design a color-your-own valentine for children to embellish themselves, and give to their parents. Cool Mom Picks is choosing 9 designs, to promote and sell, and all the proceeds of the sales will be donated to the Childrens Heart Foundation. Such a fun idea, and for a great cause, so I figure I'll try my luck at it! Here's the link for the contest rules for all of you artists out there who would like to enter as well:
http://www.coolmompicks.com/valentines-design-contest/

I thought I'd kick off the Pretty.Simple.Blog by sharing my entries.

The first design is more modern and pop-arty. Everything in the card was designed so that it could be colored by the hand of the child: the images are made with outlines with space between them, rather than solid lines, so that the kiddies can color-in the lines themselves and make them there own. When colored in, the card will look very lovely, however, I wanted this one to be pretty enough that even my two-year-old (who has no concept of coloring in the lines) could scribble all over it, and the pretty background would still show through and be complemented by the loose blobs of color she tends to make (which I consider art in and of itself).


The second design is a bit of a throw back to the seventies, and my own spin on the giving tree. After all, I see the love shared between a child and their parents as continually growing and filling life with joy, even after the child is an adult and no longer sprouting up like a tree. The font is a fun hand-scripted outline that can be colored in as part of the design as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment